Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Opportunities at IDS Weekend for CMCL Students

Opportunities for CMCL students at IDS Weekend

Hello Communication and Culture students!

I'm Peter Chen, and I've been selected as Reviews Editor for the Indiana Daily Student's WEEKEND magazine in Spring 2008. I'm looking for film, music and TV reviewers, and I figured CMCL was a great place to look. I'd especially like to broaden our scope of movies and music beyond the typical "college" genres. For music, I'm looking for reviewers with background in country, metal, bluegrass, classical, jazz, world and local music, and in film, I'm looking for reviewers willing to review Ryder movies, City Lights offerings, classic films now on DVD, etc. However, this is not a must. After all, a good reviewer is a good reviewer.

The application is below. They are due FRIDAY, JANUARY 11, after we get back from break, but I'd appreciate it if you could get back to me before then. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. My e-mail is pychen@indiana.edu. Thanks!

Peter Chen
pychen@indiana.edu
Office: 812-855-0760


Spring 2008
WEEKEND Reviewer Application

Name:
Year:
E-mail:
Major(s):
Phone:

Positions held on staff (past IDS experience not required):


Other journalism or writing experience (past journalism experience not required):


Other jobs, activities:


Answer the following questions on a separate sheet. Double-spaced, 12-point font would be helpful. Please respond carefully and thoughtfully. Be complete and concise, and limit your answer to two to three pages.

1. What makes a good review?

2. What kinds of music/movies/TV programs/DVDs would you write reviews about?

3. What news sources do you follow? Where do you get your ideas?

4. What influences guide your writing style? What writers do you admire?

5. I would like the Reviews section to have a wider spectrum of genres, especially in music. Would you be willing to write reviews for country, jazz, classical, bluegrass, world or local music?

6. As a reviewer, you will have to write outside your comfort zone and be a critic, not a fan. Could you do that? How would you honestly review period drama if you preferred action-comedy? Would you review jazz if you preferred death metal?

7. Make a list of albums/movies/TV programs with one in each grade range (A, B, C, D, F). (an example for movies: Die Hard – A, Die Hard 3 – B, Die Hard 4 – C, Die Hard 2 – D, The Whole Ten Yards – F)
_________________________________________________________________________________
Attach the application, a spring course/work schedule and a résumé. Also please attach the best two reviews you have or two sample reviews of 300-350 words each. There will be no interviews, but I’d be happy to chat with you – just contact me to schedule a time.