Dear students of languages, literatures, and cultures in the Slavic Department,
We will be holding an informational meeting and roundtable about study abroad in Central and Eastern Europe on Wednesday, February 13, 2013,
5:30 to 7:30 pm in BH 147. It will be held in a roundtable format, in which several of our students will talk about their recent experiences studying abroad. Some may even bring their pictures, maps, and souvenirs. Katie Saur from Overseas Study will come with information on relevant programs in Central and Eastern Europe, and there will be others in attendance who have studied and lived in Europe at different times. Everybody will be welcome to ask questions at any time. Keep in mind that application deadlines for summer and fall start in early February, so now's a great time to start making preparations!
In particular, we will discuss the following topics:
* IU-sponsored programs in Central and Eastern Europe
* fall, spring, summer, and academic year options
* program deadlines
* transferring credit back to IU
* going after two years of language preparation versus three
* taking SWSEEL [summer intensive language at IU] the summer before going
* internships as part of study abroad language programs
* home stays
* other (non-IU) program options
We will also cover practical matters like:
* the application and acceptance process
* funding and scholarships
* mental, linguistic, and cultural preparation, as well as packing
* living conditions and interesting experiences
You will receive a worksheet to help you plan your study abroad and to keep track of the information that you will be hearing.
If you have participated in study abroad before in central and eastern Europe, please come and share your experiences!
If you are even sort of considering study abroad, come to gather information and learn from the group!
And we will provide pizza and soft drinks for dinner! PLEASE RSVP TO THIS E-MAIL SO THAT I WILL KNOW HOW MUCH PIZZA TO ORDER.
Dr. Jeffrey D. Holdeman
Slavic Language Coordinator
Slavic Undergraduate Advisor
Assistant Director and Advisor for Eastern and Central Europe Office of Overseas Study email@example.com