Henry A. Bern Memorial Essay Competition 2012
FIRST PRIZE: $1,500
Deadline: Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Purpose: To stimulate and encourage undergraduate excellence in writing and research in the field of Jewish Studies. It is our goal that students will reach a deeper understanding and appreciation of matters relating to Judaica and Jewish civilization.
Eligibility: Any current Indiana University Bloomington undergraduate student.
1. The paper may be written on any topic relevant to Jewish Studies. Research papers, essays, and creative writing have been submitted in past competitions.
2. The paper must be the work of a single author.
3. The paper may be written in English, Modern Hebrew, or Yiddish.
4. The paper may have been previously submitted in a course.
5. The paper must be typed, double-spaced, with footnotes wherever applicable, and should not exceed 25 pages.
6. The student’s name should only appear on a "cover" sheet which should also include the student's name, student ID number, local and permanent home addresses, IU email address, telephone number, and the title of the paper. This onformation is to appear ONLY on the cover sheet in order to keep the author's identity anonymous. Papers will be numbered for judging purposes.
7. The title of the paper should also appear at the top of page 1 of the paper.
8. Among the criteria considered significant will be clarity, focus and development of the subject or problem, quality of evidence, use of sources, and originality.
Deadline: Papers should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on Tuesday, May 15, 2012. Papers may also be emailed any time during the 2011-2012 academic year. Please include in subject line: "Bern Essay Submission".
The author of the winning paper will be acknowledged at the Jewish Studies Dessert in Fall, 2012.
This scholarship was established to honor the memory of Henry A. Bern by his family and friends. Henry Bern was a professor of Education at Indiana University where he was committed to teaching and the world of learning.
If you have questions, call 855-0453 or email email@example.com.